A Day Off

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Dear Olive,
I had something like a meltdown at work on Monday. Shane's away for a couple of weeks, you and I both have colds, and a few people I had lined up to help me out with your preschool drop offs and pick ups pulled out. I was struck with the awful realisation that I couldn't do it. I literally couldn't work the silly long hours required by my job, and look after you. So I did what any grown, mature woman in her 30's does; I cried. I asked if I could work reduced hours for the next couple of weeks (for reduced pay), and said I wanted a day off this week. Olive just needs to spend some time with me I told my boss*. But having had the day with you today, it dawned on me what I'd left unsaid: I just need to spend some time with Olive. Because after hanging out for the day and doing normal things like going to a cafe, swimming at the beach, watching you create a god awful mess at home (cleverly disguised as a game); I feel completely restored. Exhausted, yes (why does slowing down make you more tired?), but there is a lovely calmness on the inside that wasn't there on Monday.
Photos from our day: Christmas decorations are up in our local health food store, a morning chai and a date, babycino for you - we always, always joke that it has poo on the top, there was a huge pod of dolphins out there this morning!, you walked home the entire way - barefoot - without whinging once (a record), your favourite lunch a "snack plate" eaten on your bed watching play school snuggled in with Pepper, my favourite lunch (an omelette-frittatery thing with lots of onion, garlic, goats cheese, parsley, tomatoes and avocado), almond meal pikelets for afternoon tea (1 egg, 1 cup almond meal, 1/2 cup coconut cream, 1/2 cup milk, 1 teaspoon of baking powder and a few drops each of vanilla and stevia).









*My boss is a legend, and said no problem. My other boss gave me a hug.

15 comments:

Jane S said...

Gosh we put a lot of pressure on ourselves don't we Kellie? Your day looks perfect and your boss sounds awesome too :)

love agnes said...

So happy you had a lovely day Kelly, this is what life's about. I'm taking tomorrow off. xx

Unknown said...

It's fantastic that you have an understanding boss! Summer colds are horrible - hope you feel better soon.

Unknown said...

oh Kellie, I'm so glad you have lovely bosses! and I am so glad you feel rejuvenated after your day off with your beautiful girl. and crying is TOTALLY adult behaviour. I quite like a good cry xx

Anastasia O'Rourke & Kostis Drakonakis said...

That sounds like the perfect day off, esp. w. dolphins and such good company. You are lucky indeed.
BTW: I am sure mum would help you out if she can, just give her a call. Annie XX

rmforde said...

i work in costume too and have just completed a 6 month job working overseas with my 1 year old in tow. Mum mum moved in with to look after her and i spent a fortune flying my husband out each weekend. Now the realisation too...I can't keep working like that, especially if we want another baby. The question is though, what on earth do former costume people do?? Best of luck with juggling it all x

one claire day said...

Oh Kel I'm sorry to hear you've been so burnt out. It must be so challenging working all those long hours while pregnant... and with Shane gone too! I can't imagine! Good on you for drawing the line and stepping away foir a day with that gorgeous girl x

Anonymous said...

Working as a parent is so taxing, working while pregnant, well it's just so hard!
I'm sorry people let you down and made it even harder and I'm glad you have understanding bosses!

gav said...

Poo on top - hahaa! Love it! So glad you got to have a beautiful day with your girl, what a perfect day too.I love the sequence of photos. What I'd give to swim in a stinger-free ocean that looks like that - aah Sydney! Melania x

melania said...

Ahh, gav's ^ my husband! Oops.

Polly said...

Sometimes we need our babies just like they need us. Hope you're feeling better after a much deserved day of loveliness with your sweet girl x

Iliska Dreams said...

What a good boss you have! and how clever of you to know you just needed to be in the moment with Olive

new home back home said...

Oh Kell, you just made me laugh and cry...at the same time!
I'm so glad you are feeling better! But I wish I could have given you a hug too!

xxxJ

natalie said...

What a great day to replenish! Olive sounds like such a character, I imagine lots of laughing goes on x

Blogger said...

3 Researches PROVE Why Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

The meaning of this is that you literally burn fat by consuming Coconut Fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 researches from large medical journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

 

dear olive © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger