=====

Friday, October 14, 2011

Dear Olive,
Shane's working long hours at the moment. He's not home much. And when he is, he's really tired. I barely see my husband-to-be, let alone get the chance to discuss Extremely Important topics like, oh, where and when will we get married. But where and when will we get married? We've been together for 5 years and we've got one child (that's you!). It seems silly to me that we'd have a long drawn out engagement; I'd just like to be married. So I'm all for doing it soon. Shane's all for waiting until he has time to think about all the decisions to be made. The whole thing's already starting to bore the pants off me and it's only been a few weeks. My parents eloped and I always thought it was really cool. It's starting to look like an appealing option to me too. Joanne Woodward and Paul Newman were married for 50 years (until Paul died). Good looking types in beautiful photos full of love. Enough to give the romantic in me a little wet eye. Joanne once said Sexiness wears thin after a while, and beauty fades, but to be married to a man who makes you laugh everyday, ah, now that's a real treat. How sweet is that.






Photos from here.

12 comments:

Jgee said...

We eloped, just the two us propped in the hills of Bali. Absolutely beautiful and the most intimate, romantic day of my little lifey. Highly recommend it! x

::The Beetle Shack:: said...

yeah! elope!

zigsma said...

Those last two photos are tear-inducing indeed. We eloped to Vienna. (Although half the family showed up...) Highly recommended.

Unknown said...

oh just beautiful... you guys are just as gorgeous! We've had 16 years and still no wedding in sight...

fast times in münchen. said...

Yeah do it! I often wish we had. Then have a party/picnic with friends upon your return.

Ive always loved that quote but I think it was easy for her to say as Paul Newman's sexiness never wore thin. Nor did his beauty fade. That last pic makes me teary.

Happy Friday. Hope you get some time with your man this weekend xx

flannery o'kafka said...

oh, the top photo and the bottom photo...lovely!
And that quote...17 years later, I laugh with my husband daily... although somedays I could quite happily throttle him. ;)
~andrea

Nell said...

Those pictures and that quote are so beautiful. And the quote so true.

Elope, do it! Same as Bianca, we often wished, in the midst of planning our day, that we had. And I love the utter coolness of rocking up in a little white dress for a simple ceremony. We were engaged for 18 months before we got married (so we could save money really) but we'd have loved to have done it within a few months.

Go lady, track down that man of yours and get hitched xx

one claire day said...

Yeah, I wouldn't waste any time - just do it! ...but I don't know that I'd elope - although I'm sure it would be really liberating - but I would definitely keep it SMALL and SIMPLE and CHEAP if I had my time again... I'm sure you'll have a wonderful day, whichever way you go about it! x

one claire day said...

oh, and I adore those images! x

Tash said...

J and I eloped on a beach, a day just for us. We came home and married all over again in a public park by the water with 31 of our dearest family and friends then we all headed to a cozy little family run restaurant for a dinner. Our wedding was fun and simple and yes I sure did do most of the organizing. I say go for it and your Shane will get into the spirit of things, men often need a little nudge don't they?
Can't wait to hear about how it goes :)
xx

Francesca said...

yeah just do it. some people love all that wedding planning but it scared the bejesus out of me and i just wanted to be married. we got married in sydney during a world trip. the last thing ben's dad said before we left was 'come back married.' so we did!
was still totally beautiful and special. and you have olive too which makes it even more so. do it do it do it! x

Small Catalogue said...

Thank you SO much for the Paul Newman Joanne Woodward gallery. He was so divine.

 

dear olive © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger